History

Est. 1951 · Pinellas Park, Florida

Our History

Thirteen people met in 1951 with a simple idea — to bring German-American community to Pinellas County. What followed was 75 years of friendship, perseverance, and a clubhouse built entirely by the people who loved it.

1951

When thirteen persons met to organize the German-American Society Friendship of Pinellas County, they hardly realized that in the space of a few short years it would develop into one of the finest social clubs in the county. It was a small beginning but with perseverance, determination, and faith, the Society has grown and prospered. Friendship, sociability, and charitable deeds toward our fellow men and women have always been the paramount objectives of this Society.

1953

On May 18, 1953, the Court of the Sixth Judicial Circuit of the State of Florida approved the submitted charter and henceforth the Society has existed as a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the State of Florida.

1957

As each year passed, the Society grew and the members began to plan for the acquisition of a clubhouse. The first step in that direction was taken in 1957, when a parcel of land on 66th Street North, in Pinellas Park, was purchased and a building fund was created. Members and friends of the Society donated generously to this fund.

1959
In July of 1959, ground was broken for the clubhouse. The members today feel, as they felt then, a great pride in such an accomplishment — a lasting monument to the friendship which the Society offers its members.

1975

The clubhouse, named Germania Hall, provided space for approximately 200 members and many activities took place here including Saturday evening dances, Oktoberfests, card parties, and choir and folk-dance practices. The public was invited and Germania Hall soon became a well-established center for social activities in Pinellas Park.

In 1975 it was realized that the facilities could no longer hold the crowds the Society was attracting. Two wings were added to the sides of the building, increasing capacity to 320 persons. A Bierstube and a Kaffeestube were also added in the front of the building.

1985
On November 17, 1985, the Society celebrated the burning of the mortgage — a milestone moment led by President Walter Neiger.

Today

The Society is still thriving with many activities taking place regularly in the clubhouse and in the community. Present members appreciate what the founding members accomplished and honor their memory in documents displayed throughout the building. We have been fortunate to have had some excellent leaders over the years to guide our steps, and faithful and hard-working volunteers to move it along.